Journal Entry Four

The Season on Panacea Island has begun. Only a few weeks in and my dignity has been stepped on more times than I care to count. The demands are endless. The tourists are like spoiled children who've never been told no. The word no isn't even in their vocabulary. Serving them is like trying to put out a wildfire with one teaspoon of water at a time. If I never had to step foot on this beach again to serve them, never had to see their tanned skin and perfect smiles ever again, or hear them bark out their orders... Well, I'd do almost anything for that. They're all insufferable. And my life is a living hell wrapped up in a pretty package. It's all a lie. 

But there's one. One tall, light-brown skinned tourist with blond-tipped curls. He writes in a journal almost all day long. He's confusing. One day he's nice, friendly, almost like he's flirting with me. He asks me to sit down next to him after I apply his sunscreen. I don't, of course. I can't. But it's nice to be asked. The next day he's arrogant and sharp-tongued, demanding and rude. It's like he forgets I'm the same person he was nice to the day before. He drinks a lot, his favorite concoction is Aqua Tonic, the island's new energy drink, mixed with copious amounts of rum. Sometimes it's not even noon, and I can tell he's had more than a few. And the combo makes him both hyper and drunk. It's not a pleasant state to deal with. I worry about him, even though I really don't want to. I don't want to care. The pure-humans are all the same; self-absorbed, hedonistic, and truly forgettable. But not him. I can't forget him. He's taken parts of my attention that I can't afford to give. Damn you, Devin Banks. 

I have to stay focused. I have to just get through this Season, like always. I can do this... and a whole lot more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Journal Entry Three:

Journal Entry Two:

Journal Entry One